While Breezway’s Altair Louvre Windows are manufactured using non-corrosive materials and high quality finishes, it is still crucial to perform occasional maintenance in order to maintain good condition.
Just like cars, louvre windows (especially concerning blades and finishes) are often exposed to harsh environmental effects such as wind, rain, dust and not to forget the notorious heat we often experience in Malaysia.
With that said, prolonging their good condition would mean putting in effort to care for them. Here are some simple yet effective steps we can take in order to reduce the rate of weathering and prolong the life of our Altair Louvre Windows.
Maintaining Aluminium Finishes
Regular maintenance of the surface finish will be necessary to reduce the rate of weathering. The frequency of cleaning will depend on the environmental conditions, but as a guide should be done at three (3) monthly intervals, or more frequently in aggressive coastal or industrial environments.
- Remove loose deposits by gently brushing or hosing.
- Clean using a sponge or soft brush and warm water with a mild detergent. Avoid cleaning agents with a caustic base, abrasive materials or harsh chemicals.
- Rinse with clean water.
- Dry with a chamois (optional).
- Apply a ‘non-abrasive’ car polish to maintain the lustre of the finish (optional).
For best results glass blades should be regularly cleaned with mild, non-abrasive detergents.
- Use a non-abrasive detergent/ mixture of 1 part vinegar to 10 parts clean water as cleaning agent.
- Use cleaning agent with a lint-free cloth or towel to clean the blades.
The blade condition can be easily maintained by ensuring they are installed correctly. For Breezway’s low e glass blades, the right way of installation is when the coated side faces the inside of the building. Avoid harsh cleaning agents and to avoid scratching the glass or damaging low e coatings.
It is recommended that inspection be carried out at the time of installation and then at yearly intervals. This may be required more frequently depending upon the variation of location, and environmental conditions.
- Inspect all fittings and screw fixings for firmness.
- Where handle connectors are used, inspect all pivot points of linkages, connecting links, pins and split pins and/or clips for wear and secure fixings.
- Ensure that all Stronghold System pins (if present) are firmly clicked in place.
- Check the louvre clips for any degradation over time.
- Check that the blade is firmly and safely positioned in the clips.
- Ensure all louvre blades operate freely.
- Ensure that seals are in place and clean.
The Breezway Altair Powerlouvre Window should be operated at least once a month to keep its performance in check.
Do take note that all internal louvre operating mechanisms are pre-lubricated prior to assembly, with a clear lubricant where required. Thus under normal conditions, this will be satisfactory for the life of the window on top of regular care and maintenance.
For more technical information please visit the Breezway Products & Technical Downloads Page.